Tuesday 24 May 2011

Come into the Garden

Come into the garden, Maud,
It's a lovely day outside
Come into the garden, Maud,
Whilst the sun is in the sky
Step across the threshold,
And lift your head up high!
Come into the garden, Maud,
It's a lovely day to die...

The day we wed I promised you
"For better or for worse",
Never knowing that my heartfelt words
Would soon become a curse.
Our love-life withered overnight,
And in about the same
You became a witch, a harpy,
Bellowing my name.

Remarkably, we had three children,
How I cannot think -
I recall no nights of passion,
Perhaps you spiked my drink,
For I had hit the bottle hard
To wash away the grey
Of waking up beside you
Each and every day.

Now the young have flown the nest
It's you and me at last.
I did my duty for the kids
Now you and I must part.
I want no messy divorce
Where you take the lion's cut,
I've come up with a neater plan -
And I will keep the lot

I've been digging in the garden, Maud,
A hole, long, wide and deep,
I'm gonna push you in it, Maud
For an everlasting sleep.
And as the gentle scent of flowers
Titillates our noses
No-one will ever realise
You are pushing up the roses.

But first I've got to end your life
And therein lies the trouble,
The best I've thought of so far
Is hitting you with the shovel.
But come into the garden, Maud,
It's a lovely day today
Let me take you by the hand -
I'm sure I'll find a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment