Wednesday 25 May 2011

Where Happiness Was

If I could remember where Happiness was
I’d try to remember the name
Of the place or the face I saw Happiness last
And hope that it still feels the same
But the places have fallen like castles of sand
And the scarred face is rotten with age
And I cannot step out of this cage

If I could remember who Happiness was
I’d ask him to come in for tea
And share meal and memory and drink to old times
At a table I laid out for three
But I stand at the gate and I wait and I wait
For his footsteps to pause at my door
And no one arrives but the wind and the rain
And I cannot wait anymore

If I could remember when Happiness was
I’d turn back the clock to that time
Of innocence, jumping through rainbows and thoughts
Untroubled by troubles of mind
But the hands of the clock circle round and around
And I watch and I wait all in vain
For that innocent time is a dream I once had
Though it’s memory eases the pain
And I cannot go there again

No comments:

Post a Comment